Sunday, February 12, 2012

Casts, Groups, and Organizations

There are many, many different forms of Renaissance Reenactment, so many so that I could not possibly cover them all. It is not important to find or discover them all. What is important, is finding one that has a style that suites you and one that is filled with people that you can respect and who will make the experience enjoyable. I will be posting any Renaissance Reenactment opportunities that I can from all around the US along the right hand side of this blog. I invite my readers to explore them if only to see the vast types of history and fun that can be discovered. I invite my readers to post comments with links to any groups that they are familiar with and I will try to get them posted.

As per request, I would like to share a little about the group that I perform with. This might give some clarity or basis for those reading this blog. As I have mentioned in a previous post, I am a proud member of the Guild of St. George, Bristol Renaissance Faire. We specifically portray the splendor, history, and personages of the Reign of Queen Elizabeth I. As a guild, our aim is to accurately represent the people who made up the court of Elizabeth I, as well as to bring enjoyment and fun to our audience. In my own opinion, both of these goals are necessary and are at the core of everything we do. We are blessed to have the entire cast and crew of the Bristol Renaissance Faire as support for what we love to do. (As a note to something I will cover later; this support must be a mutual thing, Renaissance Reenactment cannot survive without the support of other Reenactors/Actors/Audiences.)

When it comes to choosing the group that you will participate in, "fit" is rather important. Every group has its own character which is influenced heavily by the members who come and go. As the character of the group changes over time, we each have a chance to bring our own insights to the table. I recommend finding a group who is after the same goals that you are. If your goals are in opposition to the groups goals, it can cause an undue amount of tension or even conflict. In my case, I didn't even know what my goals were until I had been a member of the group for some time. I guess I got lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment